765 742 9066 Toggle Nav
Understanding Insurance in Personal Injury Car Crashes

Understanding Insurance in Personal Injury Car Crashes

Three of the most common kinds of insurance coverage
The moment a car crash happens, insurance isn’t usually the first thing on one’s mind. But concerns about medical bills, returning to work, and other negative consequences of the accident tend to arise. Most of us don’t have the cash to easily pay thousands of dollars in hospital bills or to miss work for an extended period, so it’s critical to know how a typical insurance policy can (or can’t) come to your aid. Here are three of the most common kinds of insurance coverage that might apply in Indiana when you get injured in a car crash (one from the other driver’s policy and two from your own).

Bodily Injury (BI) Coverage

This requires the responsible driver’s insurance company to pay for any harm that driver caused to you, including medical bills or lost income. Indiana’s minimum for this kind of coverage is only $25,000, which often doesn’t even come close to covering the damage done.

Medical Payment (MedPay) Coverage

This is an obligation from your own company to pay for a portion of your crash-related medical bills. This is called a ‘no-fault’ provision because if you were hurt in a crash, your company has to pay no matter who caused the unfortunate incident.

Underinsured (UIM)/Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UM)

This is coverage from your own company that will pay when the responsible driver either doesn’t have insurance, or just doesn’t have enough to pay for all the harm caused. This kind of coverage is not automatic—you have to prove your harms. So if the company disputes your claim, you may have to go to trial against your own company. Of course there are other kinds of insurance that can come into play, and there are always exceptions to the general rules. If you were injured in a car crash call us, we can walk with you through what kinds of insurance may be there to help. Contact Kyle Cray at 765-742-9066. Disclaimer: The content of this blog is intended to be general and informational in nature. It is advertising material and is not intended to be, nor is it, legal advice to or for any particular person, case, or circumstance. Each situation is different, and you should consult an attorney if you have any questions about your situation.

Can Complex Regional Pain Syndrome Be Caused By Negligence?

FAQs About Legal Options After a CRPS Diagnosis

Complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS) is also known by the name reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD). This is a chronic pain …

NOTICE: Starting in 2024 we will be charging a 3% fee for all credit card transactions. There will be no additional fee for debit cards or electronic check/ACH.