765 742 9066 Toggle Nav
How The Status of Your Student Visa Can Lead to Your Dream Job

How The Status of Your Student Visa Can Lead to Your Dream Job

For many, there is a common road to follow once you enter college. Study, find an internship, gain work experience, and graduate, ready to embark down your chosen career path. However, for those studying in the U.S. under student visas, there are stipulations that can add a few turns to this path. Knowing what your visa allows and how you can work around those restrictions will help you reach your goals.

The facts about student visas

If you are studying in the United States under a student visa, you are most likely using an F-1, which encompasses all academic institutions from elementary to college, seminary to conservatory. This visa allows you to travel outside the U.S. and transfer schools if necessary.

An F-1 visa also permits you to stay in the U.S. for as long as you are enrolled in school. Once you graduate, you will have to return home, or you can apply for a renewal of your visa.

Work restrictions

While an F-1 visa gives you the opportunity to study the subjects you are passionate about, it also limits your work experience. During your first academic year, you can only work on campus, provided you meet your school’s certifications.

Once you’ve reached your sophomore year, you can become employed through three different outlets: Curricular Practical Training (CPT), Optional Practical Training (OPT), or Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Optional Practical Training Extension. While working under OPT, you can be self-employed or work for someone else, as long as it matches your field of study. For example, if you’re going to school for mathematics, you can’t get a job as a newspaper editor.

There are also time restrictions to these outlets. STEM students are allowed 27 months employment, however, CPT and OPT students are only given one year.

University restrictions

While the government may allow you to work for certain durations, you also have to follow your university’s guidelines. So check with your advisor or counselor to make sure you know the rules at the school you attend.

By taking the time to fully understand your F-1 visa options and how they affect your working status in the U.S., you’ll be able to find the ideal position to help you get the career you’ve always wanted. For more information on holding a student visa, contact Kyle Mandeville at 765-742-9066.

The content of this blog is intended to be general and informational in nature. It is advertising material and is not intended to be, nor is it, legal advice to or for any particular person, case, or circumstance. Each situation is different, and you should consult an attorney if you have any questions about your situation.


Protecting your immigration status when facing criminal charges

Life has its challenges, and a criminal conviction can add complications. Your family, job, and lifestyle can be seriously affected. …

PARKING NOTICE: The sidewalks and curbs around the Columbia Center will be under construction through June 2023. Traffic patterns may change and street parking will be limited during construction, so we encourage you to park in the garage attached to Columbia Center. The entrance to the Parking Garage is on Fifth Street, and you may park in any spot not marked Reserved. There is a parking garage elevator you can take down to the 1st floor where the BB&C offices are located. Please inform a BB&C staff member that you are parked in the garage, so we can validate your parking during your visit to the office. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience and understanding during the construction.

The sidewalks and curbs around the Columbia Center will be under construction through June 2023.